To make the whole experience of umpiring enjoyable for all concerned there are a number of things an umpire can work on:
- Providing a safe playing environment.
- Setting the tone for the game.
- Communicating well with co umpire, players and coaches.
- Maintaining a reasonable level of fitness.
- Keeping up with the current rules and interpretations of the rules.
Applying the rules in the correct manner utilizing all of the above to help.
Game Positioning - A diagram showing umpire positioning for the game
Setting The Tone - How an umpire can create a better game environment
Effective Communication - How we can communicate better with participants to help prevent abuse and make the game more enjoyable for everyone
Conflict Avoidance - Conflict, and ways that an umpire can avoid and manage it